Bylaws of the Charter of the Ossining Public Library

Original Charter of the Sing Sing Public Library

Whereas, a petition for incorporation as an institution of the University has been duly received, and Whereas, official inspection shows that suitable provision has been made for buildings, furniture, equipment and for proper maintenance, and that all other prescribed requirements have been fully met, Therefore, being satisfied that public interests will be promoted by such incorporation, the Regents by virtue of the authority conferred on them by the law hereby incorporate

Thomas E. Hapgood, Smith Lent, Joshua G. Many

and their successors in office under the corporate name of Sing Sing Public Library with all powers, privileges and duties, and subject to all limitations and restrictions prescribed for such corporations by law or by the ordinances of the University of the State of New York. The first trustees of said corporation shall be the above named incorporators. The number of trustees shall be three and their successors shall be elected one each year to serve for three years. This corporation shall be located at Sing Sing, Westchester County, New York. In witness whereof the Regents grant this charter no. 698 under seal of the University, at the capitol in Albany, February 9, 1893.

Signed:
George William Curtis, Chancellor
Melvil Dewey, Secretary

AMENDMENT to the Charter of the Sing Sing Public Library

Having received a petition made in conformity to law and being satisfied that public interests will be promoted by such action the Regents by virtue of the authority conferred on them hereby amend the charter of the Sing Sing public library by changing the name to Ossining Public Library.

In witness whereof the Regents grant this amendment to charter no. 1454 under seal of the University at the capitol in Albany, July 1, 1901. Recorded and took effect 3:15 p.m. July 1, 1901

Signed:
Anson Judd Upson, Chancellor
Chas. Wheelock, Secretary

FINAL CHARTER to the Charter of the Ossining Public Library

Whereas a petition for reincorporation as an institution of the University has been duly received, and

Whereas official inspection shows that suitable provision has been made for buildings, furniture, equipment and for proper maintenance, and that all other prescribed requirements have been fully met,

Therefore, being satisfied that public interests will be promoted by such incorporation, the Regents by virtue of the authority conferred on them by law hereby incorporate

Samuel Watson, Milton C. Palmer, Romine Williams
Anna M. Underhill, Annie A. Brandreth

and their successors in office under the corporate name of Ossining Public Library with all powers and duties, and subject to all limitations and restrictions prescribed for such corporations by law or by the ordinances of the University of the State of New York. The first trustees of said corporation shall be the incorporators above named. The number of trustees shall be five and their successors shall be elected by the Ossining Board of Education, one each year to serve five years.

This corporation shall be located at Ossining, Westchester County, New York, and this new charter shall take the place in all respects of the charter under which the institution has been operating.

In witness whereof the Regents grant this charter no. 1631 under seal of the University at the capitol in Albany, December 3, 1903

Recorded and took effect 3:20 p.m., December 3, 1903

Signed:
M. Croswell Doane, Chancellor
James Russell Parsons, Jr., Secretary