The Friends of the Library held their annual fall book sale from 10/14 to 10/18. Thank you to the Ossining community and beyond for making this sale such a huge success. We especially want to recognize those hard-working individuals who helped set up, those who monitored and refilled tables, worked as cashiers, and helped put the leftovers back in the storage area. Their names are:
A thank you to Adult Pages Steve Lehrman and Steven Washburn for their help setting up and taking down the tables. Also a thank you to the Recreation Department for lending OPL tables for the sale.
Thanks to all of you , the sale made over $1500!!!
We also sold 4 library tote bags at the sale; These will be available for purchase at the Circulation Desk starting November 1. A sample is on display above the Circ desk. They are $15 for one bag and $25 for 2 bags. Thank you for supporting the library with your purchases.
There will be an upcoming "holiday sale" on Saturday, December 12 to be held in the gallery and cafe areas of the library on the lower level. The sale times will be from 11-4 PM. Watch for further details.
The Friends' board approved the following at their May meeting:
The Friends' Senior book sale in March netted over $200 and the Spring sale held in April netted over $100.00! Thank you to the volunteers who organized the sales and those who made purchases. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Staff requests for the following items were recently approved by the Friends' Board:
Joyce Koyner gave the Treasurer's report.
2/31/14 Balance: $17,108.42
2014 Receipts: $10,087.26
Dues & Donations: $3,381.00
Book Sales: $6,706.26
Major 2014 expenditures:
Adult Concerts & Programs: $5,300
Children, Young Adult & Family Programs: $1,350
Disc Repair System: $2,475
Alice Joselow, President of the Library Board, gave a brief report.
There was some discussion about committees for publicity and membership. Anyone interested in volunteering for either of these committees or both of these, please contact Barbara at email@example.com.
Meeting adjourned at 2:45 pm.
The Friends of the Library would like to thank everyone for their generous book donations. We are now filled to capacity and cannot accept any more donations beginning February 1, 2015. Monetary donations are always accepted! Thank you for your cooperation.
Did you know that the Friends of the Ossining Public Library paid for these museum passes?
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
Children's Museum of Manhattan
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
The annual dues for the Friends' memberships were changed effective Feb 1, 2014. Students will now be $10; individuals $20; families $30 (although, as always, larger contributions are more than welcome). If you're not sure when you joined or renewed, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, where questions and suggestions are always welcomed.
To download a simple membership application, click here or pick up a form at the library.
The Friends is a non-profit group of volunteers who encourage public awareness of library services and support the goals and activities of the library. It does not set policy, which is up to the library's Board of Trustees. It does assist in expanding library services by helping pay for programs and improvements not provided for in the library's annual budget. It raises money for the library through membership contributions and sales of books and tote bags. The annual membership meeting is held on the last Sunday of January, at 2 pm, at the library.
It's easy. Annual memberships start at $20 (or $10 for students) although larger contributions are gratefully accepted. A simple application form can be downloaded here. Copies also are available at the library.
The Friends' board, elected by members, consists of a president, vice president, treasurer and secretary. We also have committees that work on the book sales, expanding the membership and helping to pass the budget. Any Friend is welcome to join in one or more of the committees. Suggestions and questions can be sent to email@example.com..
Yes, the Internal Revenue Service has certified us. Dues and other contributions to the Friends are tax deductible. The Friends group also is incorporated with New York State.
You can join the county-wide Advocates of the Westchester Library System, a citizens' group that helps inform local and state public officials about the importance of libraries. More information can be found at westchesterlibraries.org/library-advocacy.
Assist the Library Board of Trustees in communicating the library's mission and services to the public and to serve as a vehicle for community involvement.
Assist in making the members of the county and state legislatures aware of the services provided to the public and the ongoing need for their financial support.
• Provide input to the Board of Trustees to assist them in their efforts to plan for and provide the best possible library services.
• Serve as a resource for recruiting and using library volunteers.
• Raise funds through membership donations and sponsorship of periodic book sales and similar fund-raising events, the proceeds of which are to be used by the library for worthy purposes for which tax supported funds are not available.
Form of Organization
• The Friends of the Ossining Public Library is a membership organization composed of individuals, groups and public and private organizations that are interested in supporting the Ossining Public Library.
• There shall be an annual membership meeting.
• The membership shall elect a President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary at the annual meeting. Nominations for such offices shall be entertained from the floor at the time of the annual meeting. The terms of the officers shall be for one year. Vacancies are to be filled by appointment of the president.
• Members to be in good standing will have timely made their membership donation. All members in good standing shall have the right to vote at the annual meeting or membership meetings called by the president.
• Any other business shall be brought before the membership at the annual meeting.
• Membership categories include: Individual, Patron, and Group. Each member of a category shall have one vote. The membership fees for the fiscal year, for each category, shall be determined by vote at the annual meeting.
• The Friends shall be responsible for the timely filing of appropriate forms with applicable governmental agencies; however the Board of Trustees may allow library staff to assist in their preparation.
• The Director of the Ossining Public Library shall appoint a member of the staff to serve as liaison to the Friends.
Fund-Raising Activities and Donations to the Library
• The Board of Trustees of the Ossining Public Library and/or its director may request donations from the Friends of the Ossining Public Library. As a general rule, funds donated to and accepted by the Library shall be used for worthy purposes for which tax-supported funds are not available.
Dissolution of the Friends of the Ossining Public Library
• At its discretion, the Board of Trustees of the Ossining Public Library shall have the power to dissolve the Friends of the Ossining Public Library.
• Alternatively, a quorum of the members of the Friends, shall have the power to vote for the dissolution of the Association.
• In either case, whatever balances remain in the account(s) of the Association shall devolve to the Ossining Public Library for the benefit of library services.
Adopted at membership meeting, September 27, 2010.