10 to 4 in the OPL Gallery on Saturday December 3. There will be 15 vendors selling their handicrafts. Stop by for some great gifts for those on your list and perhaps for yourself too!
Saturday 12/10 from 11 to 4 in the gallery. The sale will include gifts, children's holiday books as well as a curated selection of other books.
The Friends raised $2459.50 at the annual Fall Everything Book Sale! Thank you to the businesses in our community who so generously donated prizes for the Raffle drawing. This list includes: Capriccio !!, Classique Salon Inc., Club Fit, DD's Diner, Del Sol Sweet Bakery, Landmark Diner; Laur-Lee Sports, Lillian's Youth Center; Lucy's Pizza; Melike Mediterranean Restaurant; Miller's Cleaners; New York Sports Club; Ossining Pizzeria & Restaurant; Rubrum's Florist; Vaza Salon; Vivid Skin Rejuvenation. A thank you to Peter Esteban and Michele Tagg for their donations.
A special shout out to our terrific student volunteers - Nick, Cruz and Naomi! You were great!! Thank you for volunteering.
The list of names of all who worked so hard on the book sale appears below:
And thank you, Matt Weiss, OPL Board Member, for supporting our efforts in the 5000 and lending your help at the sale. We appreciate you!
Thank you to every one who came to the June summer book sale. The Friends' sold over 35 tote bags and raised $1000! There are a few tote bags left. They can can be purchased at the Circulation Desk for $10.00.
Thank you to everyone who helped make the May book sale a success. We raised over $640!! We thank the community for your generous donations. However, we are overwhelmed with books and other donations at this time and therefore, we cannot accept any more materials as of Friday, June 10. We thank you for your generosity. Monetary donations are always welcome.
The Friends held their annual meeting on Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 2 PM. The agenda items included: Introductions of the board and membership present; approval of 2014-15 minutes; brief reports on the membership (194 current members), the Treasury (current balance is approx. $15,000), book sales, staff funding requests, and election of officers. Barbara Henninger remains as President, Nancy deKoven will serve as Vice-President, Bonnie Zitofsky becomes Secretary and Frya Barnes remains as Treasurer. Thank you to all who attended the meeting. The meeting adjourned at 3:05 PM.
To read the mInutes ot the annual meeting, click here.
Did you know that the Friends of the Ossining Public Library paid for these museum passes?
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
Children's Museum of Manhattan
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
The annual dues for the Friends' memberships were changed effective Feb 1, 2014. Students will now be $10; individuals $20; families $30 (although, as always, larger contributions are more than welcome). If you're not sure when you joined or renewed, you can email us at email@example.com, where questions and suggestions are always welcomed.
It's easy. Annual memberships start at $20 (or $10 for students) although larger contributions are gratefully accepted. A simple application form can be downloaded here. Here is the same application in Spanish. Copies also are available at the library.
The Friends is a non-profit group of volunteers who encourage public awareness of library services and support the goals and activities of the library. It does not set policy, which is up to the library's Board of Trustees. It does assist in expanding library services by helping pay for programs and improvements not provided for in the library's annual budget. It raises money for the library through membership contributions and sales of books and tote bags. The annual membership meeting is held on the last Sunday of January, at 2 pm, at the library.
The Friends' board, elected by members, consists of a president, vice president, treasurer and secretary. We also have committees that work on the book sales, expanding the membership and helping to pass the budget. Any Friend is welcome to join in one or more of the committees. Suggestions and questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org..
Yes, the Internal Revenue Service has certified us. Dues and other contributions to the Friends are tax deductible. The Friends group also is incorporated with New York State.
You can join the county-wide Advocates of the Westchester Library System, a citizens' group that helps inform local and state public officials about the importance of libraries. More information can be found at westchesterlibraries.org/library-advocacy.
Assist the Library Board of Trustees in communicating the library's mission and services to the public and to serve as a vehicle for community involvement.
Assist in making the members of the county and state legislatures aware of the services provided to the public and the ongoing need for their financial support.
• Provide input to the Board of Trustees to assist them in their efforts to plan for and provide the best possible library services.
• Serve as a resource for recruiting and using library volunteers.
• Raise funds through membership donations and sponsorship of periodic book sales and similar fund-raising events, the proceeds of which are to be used by the library for worthy purposes for which tax supported funds are not available.
Form of Organization
• The Friends of the Ossining Public Library is a membership organization composed of individuals, groups and public and private organizations that are interested in supporting the Ossining Public Library.
• There shall be an annual membership meeting.
• The membership shall elect a President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary at the annual meeting. Nominations for such offices shall be entertained from the floor at the time of the annual meeting. The terms of the officers shall be for one year. Vacancies are to be filled by appointment of the president.
• Members to be in good standing will have timely made their membership donation. All members in good standing shall have the right to vote at the annual meeting or membership meetings called by the president.
• Any other business shall be brought before the membership at the annual meeting.
• Membership categories include: Individual, Patron, and Group. Each member of a category shall have one vote. The membership fees for the fiscal year, for each category, shall be determined by vote at the annual meeting.
• The Friends shall be responsible for the timely filing of appropriate forms with applicable governmental agencies; however the Board of Trustees may allow library staff to assist in their preparation.
• The Director of the Ossining Public Library shall appoint a member of the staff to serve as liaison to the Friends.
Fund-Raising Activities and Donations to the Library
• The Board of Trustees of the Ossining Public Library and/or its director may request donations from the Friends of the Ossining Public Library. As a general rule, funds donated to and accepted by the Library shall be used for worthy purposes for which tax-supported funds are not available.
Dissolution of the Friends of the Ossining Public Library
• At its discretion, the Board of Trustees of the Ossining Public Library shall have the power to dissolve the Friends of the Ossining Public Library.
• Alternatively, a quorum of the members of the Friends, shall have the power to vote for the dissolution of the Association.
• In either case, whatever balances remain in the account(s) of the Association shall devolve to the Ossining Public Library for the benefit of library services.
Adopted at membership meeting, September 27, 2010.